Carbon Monoxide Poisioning

Home Furnace Burner Blower IgnitedCarbon Monoxide Poisoning

The seasons are changing again and getting colder. Which means your heating system needs attention so you do not get CO poisoning. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that is both odorless and colorless. It emanates from any device that uses a fossil fuel such as oil, natural gas, propane, coal and the like for its combustion process and produces exhaust fumes.

Common devices that produce these fumes include:

  • central heating systems (ie: boilers, furnaces)
  • fireplaces
  • space heaters
  • cooking equipment (ie: stoves,ranges, fryers, broilers)
  • charcoal grills
  • portable generators

We are all exposed to small levels of carbon monoxide throughout the day. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when we inhale too much of it. Keep in mind that any exposure is critical if it causes an inability to breathe adequately. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to tissue damage and possible death.

CO poisoning is extremely serious. If you believe you or someone else may be suffering from CO poisoning, seek emergency care immediately.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

  • dull headache
  • weakness
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • confusion
  • dizziness
  • chest pain

If you inhale a large amount of carbon monoxide, your body will begin to replace the oxygen in your blood with carbon monoxide. When this occurs, you could become unconscious. Death can occur in these cases.

If you are not sure of the operating condition of your heating system have it check out by an heating expert.

 

Author: john

John Quinn is the Operations Manager of Quinn’s Plumbing Heating Cooling LLC of Reading PA. He has over 30 years experience in the plumbing, heating, air conditioning, water treatment and electrical fields, in particular with residential mechanical systems for small businesses and individual home owners. The reason Quinn decided to concentrate on his own business was because he loves what he does and it allows him to meet people and he enjoys a challenge, it’s a great chance to mix business with pleasure. Quinn earned his engineering degrees from The Pennsylvania State University in mechanical engineering through the VA higher education program. He is a 5 year combat veteran of the US Marine Corps and also a graduate of the Murrell T. Dobbins Technical High School Plumbing and Heating Apprentice Program in Philadelphia and is also certified a Master Plumber, Master HVAC Mechanic and Electrician. He lives in Reading with his wife Mary Quinn who is also his business partner. They have 2 adult daughters and 3 grandchildren. When he is not working, Quinn likes to scuba dive or work on his model train collection. John Quinn can be reached at www.quinnsphc.com , john@quinnsphc.com or by calling (610) 376-6001 or (215) 242-6329.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *